25 Years and counting.

25 years ago at the age of 15 I dragged home a broken down car. A 1972 Honda 600 Sedan. Two cylinder, air cooled sedan that looks alot like an old Minicooper but oh so much cooler. The last time I drove this car was the spring of 1987. I always intended to fix it up more but life happens and in my grandparents garage she sat waiting. Fast forward 25 years and it's time to finish what I started and bring her back to life.



Thursday, March 11, 2010

Brakes

Last night I had a chance to dig into the last big piece of my brake system. One of my objectives in getting this rebuild done is to get individual systems ready for assembly on the car once the body is done. My first big task has been the brakes. Somewhere I have other brake master cylinders but none that I could find. Regardless any MC thats been sitting around for this many years will need rebuilding and because of the corrosion you get with DOT 3 brake fluid (made from glycol which absorbes moisture) often the MC needs to be sleeved to work properly. So here is a 13/16 bore MC from my parts car before dissassembly.



After I removed all the external parts I have to remove the checkvalves and attempt to free the internal piston.



A little wire brush and it tells you the bore right on the side of the cylinder.



Here are all the parts I removed, if you ever do this type of project save every part nomatter its condition and take as many photos as you need to reassemble it.



This photo shows the assembly of the check valves and which port they go in. Since the car has front disk brakes and rear brum brakes the check valves are differant and need to be reassembled in the correct places. After this picture they went in individual bags with labels. The photo is for reassembly later.



So what now? Well what happens almost every time with a car like this is someone gets in the car and pressed the defunct brakes and the internal piston gets stuck inside and continues to corrode and get more and more stuck, since glycol dysolves in water, I am soaking the MC in a jug of water and will attempt to remove it later. After its removed it will be sent off to Sierra Specialty Automotive to have it sleeved. More pictures once I get the piston free.

Here is quick video Miles made showing this entire process.



Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment